Despite the Successful Upgrade to 4G Internet Service in Nigeria, We still encounter internet breakage and slow streaming service, Some Internet Service Providers (ISP) Sometimes have issues with 4G Upgrade, 5G will indeed be a great new revolution in Internet Service Provision in Nigeria.
5G, The Rise of Fifth-generation 5G technology is going to be huge milestone in internet speed and features as it will convert normal cities to smart cities and may bring the ‘Internet of Things’ aka IoT in use widely, well very soon I will be writing a blog on IoT but for now IoT can be explained using one simple example; when you enter the room the lights will be on automatically or in bit techy terms you may say IoT will connect us to our electronics devices more faster and in a reliable way using a network that will allow humans and devices to collect and exchange the data.
What is 5G?
The 5G can be defined as Fifth Generation Communication Network which will have speed of around 20 to 100 Gbps even more than wired connections. Today huge no. of telecom consumers use 3G or 4G/LTE networks, which were introduced in between 2001 and 2009, respectively. Most of the countries including Nigeria are still using the 2G network which is almost 17% of the world’s population.
What 5G will bring to you?
- Faster speeds in downloading and uploading content
- Amazing volume and amazingly fast
- Smoother streaming of online content
- High-quality video and voice calls
- More reliable mobile connections which means always best connected.
- The greater number of connected IoT devices
- No perceived delay
- Flexible programmable network
- Secure network
4G VS 5G
In Recent times Nigeria Network Service Providers has tried to stay up to date by upgrading thier servers to 3G, 4G and 4G Lite Respectively and this is a Great achivement. Upgrading tto 5G Network I think will be more efficient but that will be in the Future.
With speeds of up to 100 gigabits per second, 5G will be as much as 1,000 times faster than 4G, the latest trend of mobile data technology. 5G will be surely download a single movie of approximately 1GB in few microseconds. 4G certainly has limitations of network speed and hence IoT is not that efficient today which it should be post 5G adoption.
What will a 5G network need?
- 1-10Gbps connections to endpoints in the field will be required for high-speed network connectivity.
- 1 millisecond end-to-end round trip delay (latency).
- 1000x bandwidth per unit area.
- 10-100x number of connected devices.
- 90 per cent reduction in network energy usage helping environment.
- 99.9999 percent network availability which will lead to smart cities.
- Increased battery life for low power and machine type devices benefiting the efficiency of IoT.
What’s new in 5G?
- Spectrum extension and with increased efficiency, advanced antennas with 3D beamforming techniques with new electronic component extension and high-speed moving networks. (E.g. Hologram TV, Augmented reality and ultra large data transfers)
- Blend of 3G, 4G, Wi-Fi and new radio access to make the incorporated and dynamic radio access arrange network which will ease remaining associated everywhere including high-speed trains, planes and in inaccessible areas.
- New waveform and cell densification, much less signalling traffic and no synchronization (E.g. smart-cities, self-driving cars)
- New operation mechanism for dense networks, on-demand consumption, massive machine communications, enabled optical transceivers, harvesting ambient energy and optimization of sleep mode energy switching (E.g. 80% energy-saving)
- Software-defined networks will create new business models for innovative Subject Matter Experts (SME’s) providing network functions for faster innovation in network services.
Why not today? (Limitations of 4G)
- Some technology lacks like; Spectrum saturation, limited spectrum aggregation and current hardware are not able to function at high frequencies.
- Expensive deployment and maintenance of smart cells.
- 4G Latency (Delay) >= 10 ms, which should be less than that.
- Base stations up time (Power) is not optimized to meet 5G needs.
- Some unused functions which are not energy optimized needs to be optimised.
- Energy consumption is higher in devices.
If you like this Article Please share With your friends on your Social Media Platform.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.